The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards 2009 protects the choices and rights of those in care. Care providers who fail to comply with DOLS may inadvertently break the law and be guilty of abuse.
This three-hour course provides an accessible overview of DOLS, and is designed especially to guide frontline care and nursing personnel.
Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards 2009
Introduction / Refresher
Nurses and Carers
To provide a practical overview of the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards 2009.
Up to 15 students
- Defining DOLS (Deprivation of Liberty
- Background - the Bournewood Case
- Why we need DOLS
- Defining mental capacity
- Issues affecting mental capacity
- Defining liberty
- Examples of deprivation of liberty
- 2 Types of DOLS authorisation
- 6-Issue DOLS assessment
- Hypothetical scenarios
- Challenging DOLS authorisations
- Knowledge test
Lecture, group discussion and exercises.
Students are assessed on the basis of their performance of the exercises and in the summative test at the end
- Care Standards Act 2000
- Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Health & Social Care Act 2008
- NMC Code 2008
- National Occupational Standards 2009
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- CQC Essential Standards 2010
- GSCC Standards 2010
- Common Induction Standards 2011
- Levels 2 & 3 Diplomas in Health &
Social Care 2011
- Attendance forms
- Knowledge tests
- Feedback forms
- Course notes
- Reinforcement exercises
(for use after the delivery of training)
Dependent on your training needs.
Call 020 3115 1039 for a quote!
Call Michael today on 020 3115 1039
or email email@example.com
Michael Hughes MSc BSc(Hons) RN DipN ENB 998 ENB 978 Cert HPM FRSPH FIHPE PTLLS
Healthcare Training 79 Lodge Lane, North Finchley, London N12 8JG Tel/Fax: 020 3115 1039
This course description is not a contract and content may be subject to change.
Infection Control, Nutrition & Hydration,
Recording Care, Emergency Response
Safeguarding, Health & Safety
Food Hygiene, Fire Safety
Dementia, MCA, DOLS,
Dementia, Diabetes, Parkinson's, Stroke