Many people wear urinary catheters, and while invaluable in maintaining drainage, clients can experience blockages, bladder spasms and infections.
This three-hour course enables staff to reduce adverse events by caring for catheters and drainage bags safely and hygienically.
Introduction / Refresher
Nurses and Carers
To enable nurses and carers care for urinary catheters and drainage bags safely
Up to 15 students
- What a urinary catheter is
- Why urinary catheters are used
- When urinary catheters are used
- Urethral and suprapubic catheters
- Types of urinary drainage bags
- Basic anatomy
- Parts of the catheter and drainage
- Preventing infection
- Means of securing drainage bags
- Draining a catheter bag
- Attaching a catheter bag to a urinary
- Knowledge test
Lecture, group discussion and exercises.
Students are assessed on the basis of their performance of the exercises and in the summative test at the end
- Care Standards Act 2000
- Health & Social Care Act 2008
- NMC Code 2008
- National Occupational Standards 2009
- CQC Essential Standards 2010
- GSCC Standards 2010
- Common Induction Standards 2011
- Levels 2 & 3 Diplomas in Health &
Social Care 2011
- Attendance forms
- Knowledge tests
- Feedback forms
- Course notes
Dependent on your training needs.
Call 020 3115 1039 for a quote!
This course description is not a contract and content may be subject to change.
Call Michael today on 020 3115 1039
or email email@example.com
Michael Hughes MSc BSc(Hons) RN DipN ENB 998 ENB 978 Cert HPM FRSPH FIHPE PTLLS
Healthcare Training 79 Lodge Lane, North Finchley, London N12 8JG Tel/Fax: 020 3115 1039
Infection Control, Nutrition & Hydration,
Recording Care, Emergency Response
Safeguarding, Health & Safety
Food Hygiene, Fire Safety
Dementia, MCA, DOLS,
Dementia, Diabetes, Parkinson's, Stroke