The Mental Capacity Act 2005 is one of the most significant pieces of legislation in recent years. This course helps staff comply with the Act and provide care which is more sensitive to the wants and needs of clients.
Mental Capacity Act
Introduction / Refresher
Nurses and Carers
To provide nurses and care staff with
an overview of the Mental Capacity Act 2005
Up to 15 students
- Defining the MCA (Mental Capacity
- Defining 'mental capacity'
- Possible issues affecting capacity
- Variable nature of capacity
- Core Principles of the MCA
- 2-Stage test of mental capacity
- 4 Key issues to consider
- Advance decisions
- 'Best interests'
- Lasting power of attorney
- Refusal of treatment
- Need to document assessments
- Knowledge test
Lecture, group discussion and exercises.
Students are assessed on the basis of their performance of the exercises and in the summative test at the end.
- Care Standards Act 2000
- Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Health & Social Care Act 2008
- NMC Code 2008
- National Occupational Standards 2009
- CQC Essential Standards 2010
- GSCC Standards 2010
- Common Induction Standards 2011
- Levels 2 & 3 Diplomas in Health &
Social Care 2011
- Attendance forms
- Knowledge tests
- Feedback forms
- Course notes
- Reinforcement exercises
(for use after the delivery of training)
Dependent on your training needs.
Call 020 3115 1039 for a quote!
This course description is not a contract and content may be subject to change.
Call Michael today on 020 3115 1039
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael Hughes MSc BSc(Hons) RN DipN ENB 998 ENB 978 Cert HPM FRSPH FIHPE PTLLS
Healthcare Training 79 Lodge Lane, North Finchley, London N12 8JG Tel/Fax: 020 3115 1039
Infection Control, Nutrition & Hydration,
Recording Care, Emergency Response
Safeguarding, Health & Safety
Food Hygiene, Fire Safety
Dementia, MCA, DOLS,
Dementia, Diabetes, Parkinson's, Stroke